Tuesday 30 October 2007

week starts

These last few days I have found very interesting, not only are colours just the interpretation of what something looks like, they are also symbolic, for instance brown meaning earth and Mother Nature. I am slightly weary of what to put in my presentation to make it just five minutes long, I will have to cut allot of information out and just get straight to the point.

Presentations

I am actually looking forward to the presentation in a few ways it will give me chance to practise a skill which I will need in the industry, but it will also give me more confidence. I think working in the industry is full of meetings and presentations, so I am very happy that we will be doing allot of these, this will prepare us for the industry world and how it works.

Key Skills

Key skills gained from doing presentations can be a number of things, the first is confidence I my self no that I need more confidence which is why I am happy knowing that the class will be doing allot of presentations. Another is seeing what it’s really like in the industry I believe that doing presentations and interviews will help the class understand allot more about what it is like to work in the industry. Also knowledge is one of the things I am enjoying, researching for the presentation has give me allot information on colours and like Steve told me web designers are very brainy because they have to do this kind of research day in and out, this means that they will know allot more than you think. I’m really hopping we do another presentation so that I can get some more info ion things I didn’t no before.

Things I’ve done

This week I have done a number of things, the first is learned about the new assignment, via reading the assignment sheet which is on the HND site, for this I have printed off the next production schedule, I no the first one I did wasn’t very good looking back at it in my minds eye I can see what I did wrong. Also I have printed out a time sheet, as I gather we are technically back at college we just aren’t in the building it’s self.

At the moment I am currently working on my presentation on the colour I was given, this is probably one of the fun tasks, I am learning allot of new things for all colours not just the colour I have been given, allot if not all are symbolic in some way and always represent something else. I.E. “Red is danger to the western world”

The Bible

I am missing my sketch book so much I do not honestly no what to do, I am trying to keep all my work neatly laid out but I think I have lost some pages with not having it. I now no that Steve and the second years was correct in saying that it is like a bible. On the other hand not having the sketch book is teaching me how valuable it is, I really can not wait to get it back to stick all the new work in and so that I can look back for information.

Things for next week

Printed out and electronical version of presentation
Information on colours in sketch book
Put all design and inspiration work in sketchbook
Fill out production schedule
Fill out another time sheet

10 comments:

Michelle Bonfield said...

Firstly I just wanted to comment on how easily accessible your journal is. The structured layout works really well especially with the sub-headings.

In terms of the presentation I share your optimism for Monday morning. I too have greatly enjoyed researching and gaining new knowledge.

However, don't feel that you have to have a particular task set by Steve in order to carry out research. Why not set yourself your own mini topic to research each week and do a page in your sketch book?

Tom Smith said...

I think you made a good point about web designers having a lot of knowledge. So far I've been astounded how much I've learned on the course, particularly through my own research.

The learning curve has been a lot more extreme than on any course I've done so far, but I've really enjoyed it.

Liam Corfield said...

I must say i am actually looking forward to the presentation too, i mean at first i was nervous, but ater doing alot of research it made me feel alot better.

James Bell said...

I also agree that the layout of your blog make it very easy to understand.

With regards to the presentation I think that it is great that you are looking forward to it and your positive attitude towards future presentations.

Victoria Fisher said...

I have found it good to read your online learning journal entry this week because you are so positive about doing the presentation.

I agree that I have also enjoyed researching for this presentation, I am just a bit nervous for Monday, but after reading your entry it has made me a bit more calmer about doing the presentation, now I just need to keep thinking that it’s going to improve my skills in presentation and hopeful help boost my confidence which I want to improve.

Anonymous said...

Date stamp and time zone test.

Webomatic said...

Hi All
Thanks for the comments, I would like to say I’m glad most of you feel the same, yes Michelle, I also think that doing our own little research points throughout the week would help, its just proving difficult without our sketchbooks, the sketchbook is probably the main reason why I can’t wait until Monday I miss having it around.

Gary Benn said...

I have to agree about how interesting a simple thing can be, something we see and use everyday, for example a colour. I have found if we research enough almost anything can become interesting.

In addition to Tom’s comment, I am also shocked about how much we have learnt during the course. In particular the amount of information, which has been, give by Steve. Not just about web design or design in general but everything, In any job I find that general knowledge and an understanding of current affairs are both required.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hey Martyn

I think that it is good that you are looking at the skills we are now obtaining as transferable.

This shows that you are now beginning to look at the experiences we are gaining and seeing how you will be able to take them into your future working life.

I know what you mean about the 'bible'. I have been using scraps of paper to write down any ideas I have had.

I am looking forward to your presentation as I know you will put a smile on everyone’s faces.

--
Shaun Bellis
My Journal

Anonymous said...

The requested 'Comments Timestamp Format' has not been implemented.