Tuesday 5 February 2008

Happy Times

A3 is finally finished now and I am touching up my website. Validating it is a pain especially with strict I almost wish I had chosen transitional. The main reason I am enjoying this is that it is mainly all practical and it is filling my sketchbook fast with testing screen shots and user screen shots.

The struggle is finding the correct age group to view my site and actually comment on it correctly I.E. not family as they tell you what you want to here.

I will be uploading my site next week and I would love it if people could give me feedback, all feedback is good feedback. A new program that I have starting using which helps a lot with A1 is “Mind Genius” it is installed on every PC around collage and can easily create a mind map which as you all know is needed for A1.

More designs, I have scrambled some old magazines for both 1st and 2nd years to use as inspiration I will be giving them to Steve so just ask if you need some more work ect, books / magazines are the best things to get inspiration from as there is so many pictures and font designs in them which could be potentially usable.

Colour is a word that makes me wish I’d done better on my website after reading the colour index I found out I should have been using a light brown background, well at least I am noticing all this now which will make it easier in the future.

The goal for next week is to have my website fully finished and validated with plenty of feedback from all. The unfortunate thing is that it is NEVER finished, because as soon as I get feedback I will be acting on it and making yet even more changes.

7 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I'm using XHTML Transitional for my site, and am glad I chose to do so. It seems almost everybody using Strict is having difficulty validating.

My research showed that if you're using tables and cells for the layout of a site, Transitional should be used, but if you're using CSS, Strict should be used.

Just something to bear in mind for future projects.

Greg Carrick said...

I was also having problem with the validation, but I’m glad I used Strict now because when you check the validation and it tells you its valid XHTML Strict, I feel so happy that all that extra work has paid off!

I’m glad you’ve got A3 out of the way and have nearly finished your website. I will defiantly give you some feedback on your website, I’ll keep checking back. Hopefully I should have mine up soon.

Thanks for offering us the magazines; I’ll have to take a look at them when we get back.

Liam Corfield said...

Im also having trouble with XHTML 1.0 Strict, and my website just keeps going topsy turvy, i supose in this line of work, a site is never really finished, because eventually it might need updating, or you notice something that you think you could make it look better, ect...

Webomatic said...

Hi all

Thanks for all your comments. As tom said I will be keeping an eye out in future projects and defiantly stick to Transitional. That is until I get better at CSS.
As Greg stated out, using strict is good though because when it finally validates it makes it feel that much better.

Thanks, Martyn

James Bell said...

Like Tom said Strict is best used with CSS and using Strict with tables can often result in a problems.

In spite of this I think that dealing with these problems now will be beneficial in the future and make the validation process a lot faster.

John Browne said...

Good point there martyn, even after the assignment is finished the website will not be fully completed in the eyes of those who see improvment.

I too am having mass trouble's with the Email form, as I still cant seem to get it to link in with my emails. Everything seems to be in order from the instructions but perhaps its the slightest little error that I keep missing..

When I found out the cure for this dreadfull curse of CGI I will keep you updated.

Webomatic said...

Hi

Johny i found a link that might help you james showed me it last week and it has helped a lot i hope it helps you aslo.

http://web.mit.edu/wwwdev/cgiemail/user.html

Thanks, Martyn