Tuesday 15 April 2008

Design, Design, Design

Logos
More logo creating this week brought a design style to my logos which was eye catching. The main type of logo I stuck to was an eclipse of the sun (half) this meant that you could still see half the sun and half the moon.

At the moment I am trying different styles of type to go with this logo but finding the right one is proving to be difficult. One thing I am going to do is print off a big list of fonts saying the word EMIT so that I can pick the best one. Although trying to match one to the logo I have done is hard as some text styles spoil the logo.

If anyone has some good free typefaces please post a link.

CD Design
This week I also started on my CD design and sketched some examples of what might match the music I have been listening to. Once again I tried to get this light and dark feel across, as the music was both dark and light.

One of the designs I thought of was sun rise inside, sun setting back and night for the front, this to me seemed to get a lot of moods across which I felt from listening to the music. This design however may have some consequences as the writing on the back may be hard to read with the sun shining through the words.

Through research of the artist Qubism John informed me of a culture art called Cubism. This used different cut outs of a picture from different angles to give the onlooker more of a feel of the picture. Through more research I found a tutorial on how to do this on Photoshop. I did a couple of examples however I think that once the Qubism effect took place it was sometimes very hard to actually see the original picture, this produced some problems but with careful editing I am sure I can make cubism work. It will also provide a good play on words as the artist I am doing is called Qubism.

Weekly Events


Finalise 3 logos

Finalise 3 CD designs

Research information a flight document

Get more A1 work

Buy a new sketchbook

8 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

Well I’ve been getting some fonts from www.dafont.com. If you have a hunt around there they have some really nice fonts and a large selection to choose from.

I think your idea for the CD package sounds quite good and if you use cubism for it then it should be a nice design.

Tom Smith said...

I was going to mention dafont.com too. You've got to be careful with free fonts though, some of them are a bit dodge.

I think the idea to used Cubism on the Qubism CD cover is a good idea. However, Cubism is a really distinct form of art, and it'd be hard for you to replicate it well. The most famous cubists are Picasso and Braque, so check there work out if you want some inspiration.

Webomatic said...

Hi

Thanks for the great free fonts I’m trying a lot of them. Thanks for the artist names tom I have been looking into there work and it is very unique. I think your right though cubism is hard to recreate but I will try it anyway even though it will be hard I think the end result will look great.

Thanks, Martyn

Liam Corfield said...

Hi Martyn

Like Greg said, there are alot of fonts you can use at www.dafont.com i have actually made a list of fonts using the word emit to try to find the one that suits the theme of the music.

if you like i could send you a list of fonts that i think you could use

James Bell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Bell said...

As well as dafont you can look and here. There some really nice free fonts out there but like Tom said there is also some that aren't so well put together so have a good look round before settling on one.

The FontShop also give away a different free font every month or so at fontshop.com/freefonts

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for the great links! I had used dafont.com before and like Tom has mentioned just use with caution.

The sketchbook work involved in this unit is extensive; it is hardly surprising that you have filled one already.

--
Shaun Bellis

Webomatic said...

HI

Liam that would be grate ive got over 20 fonts from Dafont already, but i will edit them as im not sure on the coppywrite laws.

Thanks, Martyn