Tuesday 22 April 2008

Moving Fast!

My three logos although slightly finished still need work. One I need to place a good looking font on there to brighten things up and make the Emit logo look more eye pleasing. Also I think it will make me happier knowing that my logo looks its best although I have to remember not to get too attached.

A good way to improve my logo is to use thicker lines on the 1st design and a more rounded moon on the 2nd design. This makes me happy as well as now I know how to fix the logos to make them industry standard, although making the lines ticker will result in me using less paths so that the logo will still work at a small size.

Inspiration
My inspiration has defiantly been used this week; I have been using my sketchbook to help me design/redesign my work, although using my sketchbook for ideas can sometimes be a bad influences from bad business cards and such. Although I try to stay away from bad ideas they can subluminally influence me.

A happy moment of the week is the inspiration forum talk, this is a place to post and get inspiration, so please take a look if you get time. (DesignForum)

CD Work
This week has been an interesting but frustrating one as I try to pick a design for my CD cover, I have been looking very closely into plants, trees and nature. But as well as this I have been toying with the idea of Cubism as it is a play on words on the artists name which is Qubism.

Although using Cubism would be good for effect it would take a lot of time and would be very hard to pull off, I think so that I don’t have as much stress I will create the basic version of the CD first and then try and do a cubism formatted one.

Fonts
Fonts are another challenging aspect this week as I try to find the perfect font. Even though I have researched fonts and looked at plenty of them I still struggle to find the perfect font for me and my designs. The hardest part is matching them to my designs in a way that I feel they suit although it is not really about me and they way I feel but about the client and his opinions.

4 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

Finding the most suited font for the logo is defiantly a challenging task, there are so many fonts out there and as you said it’s not about our personal likes and dislikes, but the most suited to the company and logo.

I’ve been finding it quite hard to choose a font too as there are a few fonts that work and choosing the most suited out of them is becoming a hard choice. There are two main contenders and they are actually quite similar, so I think I’ll do some work on the CD package and come back to it later.

I also need to take into account any feedback I get on my Blog as I’ve put some of the suitable fonts on there. I would recommend you do that too after you’ve found some suitable fonts, it should help you decide the most suitable.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Martyn,

When I chose the typeface for my logo, what I did was typed the word 'emit' with fonts that I liked (and put the name of the typeface at the side) and printed them off. It serves a dual purpose as it generates evidence for your sketchbook and it gives you a side by side comparison of each.

--
Shaun Bellis

Victoria Fisher said...

At the beginning of this assignment I researched a range of fonts for the logo. The fonts I collected weren’t just fonts that would suit the emit logo, which is good now for the CD cover designs. It saves me time not having to go research suitable typefaces for a long time again. I only use the typefaces I have collected as I starting point, and I go have a look at typefaces like the ones I think are suitable but I see if there is any like that typeface that is more matching to the work I am doing.

Webomatic said...

Hi All

I guess more people was struggling to find the right typeface other than my self. Like Shaun has said printing them off is the best, as you can see the printed result, it also serves as a purpose for evidence. Although I still found it hard but this week I have found a few fonts I like mainly from Dafont, thanks to the people that pointed me in the right direction.

Another thing I have found out is as well as printing out the word Emit in the type face also place the font name under it, as the first time I did this I struggled to find the font I liked.

Now that I have found some suitable fonts I think that I will take a brake from the logo for a week so that I can concentrate on doing the cd designs, I have a few good cd designs in mind however I need to do more as I don’t think I have done adequate editing and modification of the pictures.

Thanks, Martyn