Tuesday 19 February 2008

Chalenges

This week I have set me self a few goals which I have been working on very hard. The main thing I am happy about this week is my website. As I have changed it again it is looking a lot better.

The Differences

The old site was too stretched and had too many spacer images, thus the feedback I got was mainly about the amount of spacer images and text. However on the new site I have fixed these problems by not having any spacers and by making the site smaller it has reduced the size making it load up more sufficiently.

The most happiest thing about this week is that I have finally fixed my feedback form with some help from James, know it works as intended allowing me to receive emails from the feedback form its self.

Stressful

The main reason I have started again with the site is because of the spacer images and the length know the new site as you can see looks a lot clearer and more precise. The colour inspirited I got was from the book “colorindex” this book helped me find the correct colours I needed for the site.

This week as also been a thoughtful week, the main reason for saying this is that I have thought a lot about what I want to do with my website and have put them into practise using the knowledge from feedback given during this week.

Feedback
The feedback this week really helped me decide what I wanted to do with the site and that was to change it to make it more suitable for the user. If you look below you will see an image of the old site and a image of the new.

Old



















New



















Please give your thoughts on the old and the new and the changes that have been made.

Things for next week
Bring all my time sheets into collage.
Check all my work to make sure there is no errors.
Get more feedback from the new version of the site.
Print out all evidence of testing.
Start my evaluation.

7 comments:

Mark Torrington said...

Martyn, I sympathise with you, started again is not an easy decision when fellow students are on the last leg of their designs. On Tuesday evening I did exactly the same. I could not get the site to validate correctly. Thankfully, now the web page validates and does not compromise the design by shifting any images.

Looking at you new design it would look better with some white space between the blue and the text. Maybe consider adding a subtle blue and dark blue duotone image in the header.

Michelle Bonfield said...

Martyn I think your new design is a vast improvement on the old one.

The colour scheme is more sympathetic to the targeted user and improves readability of the text. The changes in type size also indicates a hierarchy of importance which is good.

I'd be tempted to indent the body text and side navigation slightly in from the edges to give it space to breathe. I also agree with Mark that an image in the header would improve the aesthetics further.

Victoria Fisher said...

The new colour scheme you have chosen for your web site it a lot better, the only think I am not sure about is how close you text on the cream background is to the blue at the side. The picture of your web site, shows that you have no images on that web page, are you going to include pictures on that page?

Webomatic said...

Hi All

Yes i think the new colour is more comlimentary to the target audiance also.

Mark i have put the space in now and it looks a lot better it should be uploaded tommoro for everyone to look at.

Thanks, Martyn

James Bell said...

The re-design looks like it's going well and the new colour scheme is definitely a lot better.

I agree that the header needs to altered but it doesn't necessarily need a graphical element.

A typographic solution could be achieved very easily but remember that if you aren't using a web-safe font then it should be made as an image.

Liam Corfield said...

Your new design for the website is much better than the last, the colour scheme suits it well, as michelle said its alot better on the eyes.

Gary Benn said...

Well done on making the decision to re do you website. It is a hard choice to make; I didn't like it when i changed just the smallest bit of it.

It is a vast improvement and looks some how more organized but also spaced out allot better now. The text doesn’t seem to be crammed in something now.

Looking at your goals it looks like you’re getting there and are about on target!

Keep up with the good work and well done so far.