Tuesday 4 March 2008

Improvement

This week I have learned more about my self and what I need to do in the future. I have learned more about the way I should conduct text formatting thanks to John, but I have also learned that I struggle with time planning.

To try and make my self better at time planning next week I am going to devote a full day to making sure I have my entire next assignment fully planned out before I even start it. I believe this will help me in the long run by keeping me focused and also allowing me to move at a comfortable rate.

Monday I made my final finishes to the website and my evaluation however I can’t help feeling somewhat disappointed in my self for not finished a week a head of schedule like I should be doing, this is another reason why I need to sort out my time planning.

I feel happy as I have done a lot better on this assignment. I have learned a lot from this assignment and how I can improve future work. One is to always research; researching colour in depth after feedback allowed me to create the site easier and allowed me to get a colour scheme which I was happy with. One more thing learned is time planning as mentioned above I need to improve drastically to allow me to reach my full potential when doing assignments.

In the future I will be following these rules:
Research the activity before doing it.
This will give me more confidence while doing the work, it should also improve my performance on tasks as I will know a lot more about the subject before starting.

Complete a full time plan for an assignment, before starting it.
This will allow me to organise my time correctly, which will allow me to finish assignments at the correct time which is 1 week before deadline.

Reread the assignment criteria.
This will help me understand the assignment more as well as make me aware of any potential problems before they pop up.

More sketchbook work.
Although I have done a lot more work this time around I have failed to get all the work stuck into the sketchbook which means it is useless, the way to fix this is to make more time for A1 which can be done via the time sheets.

Overall
I feel happy with the improvements I have made, although I am upset about certain aspects such as time planning I know that I can fix this by giving my self time to work out how to correctly fill in the time sheets. Like I said above I believe the way to fix this is by doing a full assignment time plan before I even start it.

7 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

Fully planning out the next assignment sounds like a really good idea and should help you get a better understanding of the assignment. But it might be quite hard to do as we’re not exactly sure how the next assignment is going to work. But if you do one, just remember you might have to make a few amendments to it.

You should not feel disappointed with yourself, as you were only adding a few final touches to the website and you basically had it done last week. You could also see a vast improvement in the final website with the colours you used and the layout.

I really like how you’re going to approach assignments from now on; you will defiantly see the benefits that come from that approach.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Martyn

I had never thought about doing all of the time planning sheets right at the beginning of the course; it sounds like a fantastic idea.

Everyone is developing their own very different learning methods and yours is a very distinct one.

Time planning is an area in which I know that I can improve upon; additionally, this is perhaps the one area that will benefit me the most.

--
Thanks

Shaun Bellis

Liam Corfield said...

I have to agree with greg, planning out the next assignment is a really good idea, although, it will be a rather lenghty process.

my time planning was a bit up and down throughout this assignment, but i really will consider doing the it before we satrt, it will same me alot of time

Great Idea.

Webomatic said...

Hi All

Although it will be hard Greg it is possible as if you read the assignment sheet there is a rough idea of whats to come, as such it is possible just hard to do which is why i sujested a full day for it.

It has other advantages as well such as knowing where your at having it done before hand so that you know your prepaired.

Thanks, Martyn

Victoria Fisher said...

It’s a good idea about having the assignment well planned out at the start so you know all the way though the assignment where you are, what you need to do and what you have already completed.
I could see improves in you work a lot and its good how you used your feedback to make improvements. The aims you have set you self for next time are all aims we should all think about especial the sketchbook work.

Michelle Bonfield said...

Time planning or should I say my documentation of time planning is also a weakness of mine. I think it's because I'm not seeing it as a method to assist my progress but more another box I have to tick.

At the moment i just can't seem to gain any benefit from weekly time sheets and its really frustrating. If anyone has a golden solution about how to get out of my bad habits please let me know!

Mark Torrington said...

I have to agree with all the above comments.

Effective time planning is essential to complete any task successfully. I feel that we are all guilty of using the sketchbooks as an evidence resource rather than a resource for learning and inspiration.

Hopefully the next assignment will allow us to concentrate on improving our sketchbooks.