Wednesday 19 December 2007

Evaluation

At the beginning of the term I was thinking that I would be passing every assignment first time and thinking that maybe I would get a merit. I was at the beginning a little optimistic about what I as going to achieve while in the course and how I was going to achieve things. Also I did not realize that certain aspects of the course where needed. Such as at first I did not think the sketch book would be much use however I soon learned other wise. Another aspect which I thought was not as important was the Blogger, however I soon learned that it was very important for my progress through out the course.

However since then I have soon learned that the course involves a lot more than just work. There is a lot more work that goes into the marking than what I first thought meaning that it is very hard to actually achieve more than a pass. However despite all this I am very happy with the course so far. At the beginning I did not think that the sketch book was so important. But after doing the course this far I would defiantly say that it is the most important thing on the course. Mainly because so much information is recorded in the sketch book this allows me to look back at it. Another thing what I am happy about is how much I have improved in the over all design aspects of the Interactive course. Before I found it slightly hard to think of ideas fast however, after doing exercises where ideas had to be produced in about 1min I soon learned how to do this correctly. However as well as learning this skill I also learned not to add anything else into the actual design. Before at the beginning I thought that what was best was what I thought was best. However I can safely say that, this is not true anymore. It is always what the client wants.

With these new skills I hope to be able to progress on the course even more and maybe even reach my goal of a merit on at least one or more assignments. I think one more think that I hope to achieve is to improve my Blogging. Mainly because I think hat the Blog makes people on the course connect more and let’s people going through the same things as me share the experience. The main thing that I hope to achieve on the course is experience; so far a lot of this has already been given via learning idea generation and such. However I hope to improve my skills, in both the software and design. My final goal for the end of the course is to gain enough experience to be able to get a job in web design, or a design course that requires idea generation.

To summarise my time on the course so far, I would explain it as enjoyable but at the same time very educational. The best parts about the course so far are the lectures and the sketchbook in which to take notes on the lectures. The main reason being is that they help so much when doing work later on. The most enjoyable part of the course so far has been the image restoration and idea generation, mainly because I learned how to use Photoshop correctly and how to make something that looked bad look good. The idea generation made me think about what it would actually be like in the industry and how fast they expect you to gather information and ideas. I think hat not only was this one of the fun tasks so far it was also the most valuable as it will be one of the main things to help me on my way to a good career.

Main Goals

Short term
Throughout the second semester I would like to achieve at least a merit in assignments. I would also like to get better at using the software applications such as “Dreamweaver and Photoshop” allowing me to be able to make better websites. I would also like to improve my overall sketchbook work, making it more aesthetically pleasing by putting more colour and designs into it. Finally I would like to improve my Blogger skills, by posting more helpful comments.

• To Get Merits
• To be able to use software better
• Use the sketch book more efficiently
• Helpful comments

Mid-term
By the end of the course I hope to achieve all of the goals listed above. This will help me be more employable. However for this I will need to get more experience in the industry this might mean trying to get a part time job to help me on the way.

• Get more industry skills
• Continue improving industry skills
• Do more idea generation

Long-term
At the end of it all I would like to get a job in the industry in either web design or a design related job such as “Design Mechanics”. However if I feel that I do not yet have the skills I will most likely consider doing another year to get better experience and knowledge.

• Get a design job
• Get enough experience
• Consider doing another year of education

6 comments:

Greg Carrick said...

The lectures really do help with the work and as James said in his evaluation, it helps even more if you research more into the lecture subject.

I also really enjoyed the image restoration and next semester should be really enjoyable too.

Michelle Bonfield said...

I glad to hear you're enjoying the design aspects of the course and your speed and ease of design is increasing. Thinking of ideas and getting them down on paper is skill that has to be learnt and developed.

The more you do the better and easier it will become because you will have the knowledge and experience of your previous designs to build from.

Practice makes perfect and gives you a superb sketch book!

Anonymous said...

Approximately two and a half hours until comments are closed for Semester 1.

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Martyn

An overestimation of personal performance is certainly something that I was also guilty of.

In contrast, I believe that many people UNDERESTIMATED the importance of the sketchbook and learning journals.

You appear to be bursting with enthusiasm and passion for the course; a quality which I have much admiration for.

The goals that you have set for yourself are realistic and achievable.

You have progressed well; keep up the good work

--
“Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life.”

Andrew said...

I can see from how you work in class that you enjoy the design aspects of the course, whenever I look up and across the room I can see you doing something design'y or creative. You definitely seemed to enjoy the Image Recreation and the Banner Task alot, I felt that was evident in the range of work you produced in and out of class.

The future targets you have set for yourself seem very realistic, I can see that abit of hardwork would help you achieve these. I feel they are well within your reach from the talent I have currently seen in you, I hope they work out.

Anonymous said...

Semester 1 Journal Comments Closed.